Monday, May 28, 2012

Ranch recipes: Chutney roast

I love this recipe. It is so simple and easy and delicious. There's no complicated ingredients, no browning or searing, no turning some super hot roast without splashing yourself, it can marinade in the fridge a few days if you don't get to it right away, heck if you have good coordination, you don't even have to touch raw meat. And it is always a welcome change from the plain ole pot roast with potatoes and carrots. Normally I am not a huge chutney person - it is too acidic and has to have the perfect application to really shine - but this is the perfect recipe for it.

This is however, not the most photogenic recipe and by the time it comes out of the oven after taunting me with smells for hours on end, I'm not in the mood for food styling. So please enjoy my photo of a brown roast in a browned pan with brown juice. I know it doesn't look very good but trust me, it is so worth it!

IMG_9829


Chutney Roast

Ingredients
- one 2.5 to 3 lb roast (I used a beef chuck roast here but any type of roast would be good. I've yet to try it with a pork roast but I am sure it would be divine!)
- one pint (about 2 cups or 16 oz) of thick chutney (I used home-canned "harvest chutney". I don't even remember what went into the jar at the time, mostly just garden leftovers. I do recall some peaches in there and I could identify some raisins)
- 1-2 cups water, as needed

Steps
1. The afternoon or evening before cooking, take frozen roast from freezer. Remove wrapping and place roast in a large zipper bag ( I used a 2 gallon size but 1 gallon should work). Pour chutney over roast. Close bag and make sure roast is covered with the chutney. Put in refrigerator to defrost completely.
2. The next day when roast is thawed, preheat oven to 275/300 degrees.
3. Dump roast and chutney sauce into heavy dutch oven pan (with lid). Cover pan leaving a slight gap for steam to escape.
4. Cook for 5-6 hours, adding water as needed to keep the sauce saucy and the roast moist. If the roast is starting to look a little dry in spots, spoon some of the sauce over it.
5. When the roast easily shreds with a fork, it is done.
6. Serve over mashed potatoes with a drizzle of the meat-infused chutney sauce (since this roast was grass-fed, there was not a big oil slick on the sauce. If using a grain-finished roast, just spoon off the top layer of oil first before serving up some sauce).
7. Enjoy!

IMG_9835

No comments:

Post a Comment