Thursday, May 31, 2012

Planting the garden

The greatest danger of frost has passed (knock on wood!), the soil is tilled and the rows carefully dug to accommodate watering... It is time to plant the garden!

IMG_9866

We planted all the staples: corn, beans, potatoes, tomatoes, squashes and so forth. I transplanted all my little seedlings from the sunroom and the egg carton system worked great! Frequent waterings had weakened the cardboard and all the little roots were growing right through. No need to tease the seedlings from their little cups, I just tore off individual cells and plunked them into the dirt, making sure they had good contact with the garden soil. With such little disturbance to the roots I noticed these transplants didn't seem to wilt nearly as bad as with other systems I've used. I'm sold on the egg carton system and will continue using it through the summer for replacement starts and in years to come.

IMG_9869

I can't wait for that first big garden salad!

No comments:

Post a Comment