Thursday, October 27, 2011

Ranch recipes: Slow-cooked coriander pork

To me, this recipe is the perfect fall dish and one we recently served at our fall harvest meal. There is something magical about the flavors of pork, apples, onions and coriander melding over a long, slow cook time and the results are melt-in-your mouth deliciousness. This is also one of my go-to branding day recipes. It scales well, serves a crowd and I can get it started early in the morning so I can join the crew in the field instead of slaving in the kitchen all morning. Yay!

IMG_9054

Slow-cooked coriander pork

2 pork shoulder steaks
1 large sweet onion, sliced
2 Tbsp freshly ground coriander (cilantro seeds, but they don't taste anything like the green parts for all you cilantro haters out there!)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 cup unsweetened applesauce ( I use homemade applesauce but any will do)
1/2 c water

1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees. In a dutch oven pot or casserole (with a lid) add a layer of onions. Mix seasonings together and season both sides of pork liberally and place on onions. Add another layer of onions on top of pork, cover with applesauce and water.

2. Cover pot leaving lid slightly ajar. Cook for four to six hours or until pork starts to fall apart.

I'm a big fan of serving this meal with pumpkin risotto, baked Brussels sprouts and a warm loaf of The Bread with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. For our fall harvest meal we served the pork with cornbread stuffing and salad. Or if it is lunchtime and the house is full of yummy food smells, you could just stand over the pot and eat it plain like Nathan and I did. Then I remembered I wanted to take appetizing photos to share on the blog. Oh well, I saved you a bite :)

IMG_9057

No comments:

Post a Comment