Monday, August 30, 2010

Ranch recipes: Grass finished beef three bean chili

IMG_3971


I love making chili. It smells good, is warm and hearty and I can make a huge batch and freeze some for the days where I don't feel like cooking or lack the foresight to remember to soak the beans. So when our sizzling summer heat peaked at a stifling 62 degrees the other day, I decided chili was in order.

As with most of my cooking, I made the chili with what I had on hand with a pinch of this and a dash of that. I've recreated a quick, scaled down week day recipe below but be sure to season to taste.

Grass finished beef three bean chili

1 large onion, diced
1T olive oil
3 cloves garlic
2T chili powder
1T cumin
1T oregano
1/4tsp cayenne (you can add more later if you like it hot)
splash of worchestershire
1lb grass finished beef
1 little can tomato paste
2 cans diced tomatoes with chilies
1 can black beans, drained
1 can pinto beans, drained
1 can black beans, drained
1 cup water
season to taste with salt & pepper

In a large pot, saute onion, garlic and spices in olive oil. Add ground beef and cook over medium low heat until cooked through. Add in beans, tomatoes and water. If needed, add enough water to barely cover chili. Turn up heat to medium until mixture starts to bubble. Turn down heat to low and cover pot. Cook 15-20 minutes before seasoning to taste. Top with sour cream, green onion or cheese and enjoy plain or with cornbread and a salad. Be sure to save some for leftovers, it is better the next day.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment