Monday, March 29, 2010

Flat trays and fresh flowers

IMG_1055

Last year, instead of just planting lettuce in plug trays, I ended up direct seeding a whole flat tray with lettuce seed. When it was time to plant in the garden, I grabbed a hunk of soil and teased the roots away and plopped the whole thing in the ground. Much to my surprise, these seedlings took off faster in the garden than the plug trays which were seeded in the sunroom and planted in the garden the same day. Somehow a single zinnia seed ended up in the tray and I just planted among a handful of lettuce seedlings in the garden. That zinnia was the most prolific of all I planted and really thrived, providing me with an abundance of pale pink buttons.

So, this year, I want to try the same thing with my zinnias and start a whole flat tray. I adored the zinnias last year and as any visitor to the ranch can attest, I put out fresh flowers in each guestroom, the bathroom and dining area. As Lloyd would say, "fresh flowers lighten the mood". The zinnias produced well into the fall and provide such unique, architectural interest, that even when I was between blooms in the garden, I could still put out a few zinnias.

Where am I going to put out a hundred zinnia seedlings? I haven't got that far yet but wherever they end up, it will be a sight to behold.

No comments:

Post a Comment